« PreviousContinue »
Evangelist, and Physician of the soul; May it please thee, that, by the wholesome medicines of the doctrine delivered by him, all the diseases of our souls may be healed; through the merits of thy Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Almighty God, unto whom all hearts be open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid; Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of thy Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love thee, and worthily magnify thy holy Name; through Christ our Lord. Amen.
2nd Collect from the end of the Communion Service.
O Almighty Lord, and everlasting God, vouchsafe, we beseech thee, to direct, sanctify, and govern, both our hearts and bodies, in the ways of thy laws, and in the works of thy commandments; that through thy most mighty protection, both here and ever, we may be preserved in body and soul; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.
2 Cor. xiii.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Ghost, be with us all evermore, Amen.
FOR ZEAL IN GOD'S SERVICE.
xviii. 20—31. 20. The Lord shall reward me after my righteous dealing: according to the cleanness of my hands shall he récompense me.
21. Because I have kept the ways of the Lord : and have not forsaken my God, as the wicked doth.
22. For I have an eye unto all his laws : and will not cast out his commandments from me.
23. I was also uncorrupt before him: and eschewed mine own wickedness.
24. Therefore shall the Lord reward me after my righteous dealing : and according unto the cleanness of my hands in his eye-sight.
25. With the holy thou shalt be holy: and with a perfect man thou shalt be perfect.
26. With the clean thou shalt be clean : and with the froward thou shalt learn frowardness.
27. For thou shalt save the people that are in adversity : and shalt bring down the looks of the proud.
28. Thou also shalt light my candle : the Lord my God shall make my darkness to be light.
29. For in thee I shall discomfit an host of men : and with the help of my God I shall leap over the wall. 30. The
of God is an undefiled way: the word of the Lord also is tried in the fire; he is the defender of all them that put their trust in him.
31. For who is God, but the Lord : or who hath any strength, except our God ?
Or Psalms xxvi.; cxi.; cxxv. 1, 2, 4, 5.
Epistle, 18t Sunday in Advent.
Rom. xiii. 8.
Owe no man anything, but to love one another : for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand; let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. Or, Rom. xii. 6, Epis. 2nd Sunday after Epiphany.
Rom. xii. 16, Epis. 3rd Sunday after Epiphany. 2 Cor. vi. 1, Epis. 1st Sunday in Lent. Eph. v. 1, Epis. 3rd Sunday in Lent. 1 St. Peter ii. 11, Epis. 3rd Sunday after Easter. St. Matt. v. 20, Gos. 6th Sunday after Trinity. Rom. vi. 19, Epis. 7th Sunday after Trinity. St. Matt. vii. 15, Gos. 8th Sunday after Trinity. 1 Cor. x. 1, Epis. 9th Sunday after Trinity. St. Luke x. 23, Gos. 13th Sunday after Trinity. Ephes. iv. 17, Epis. 19th Sunday after Trinity. St. Matt. v. 1, Gos. All Saints.
General Confession. Almighty and most merciful Father; We have erred, and strayed from thy ways like lost sheep. We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts. We have offended against thy holy laws. We have left undone those things which we ought to have done; And we have done those things which we ought not to have done ; and there is no health in us. But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us, miserable offenders. Spare thou them, O God, which confess their faults. Restore thou them that are