Page images

From an Original Poture.

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
[ocr errors][ocr errors]

of Cambridge. Having early embraced the Protestant religion, he zealously joined with those who were for setting the lady Jane Gray on the throne. John Dudley, duke of Northumberland, coming to Cambridge, in his march against the princess Mary, required the doctor to set forth the lady Jane's title in a sermon the next day before the university. He obeyed *; and preached in so pathetic a man. ner as drew many tears from the audience; and he gave a copy of his sermon to be printed. But he expressed himself with so much prudence and moderation, as abun

dantly satisfied the duke ; and yet did not violently ex. asperate the opposite party. The unsteady duke sent for him, about two days after, to proclaim ( Mary, which he refused; whereupon he was deprived of his office of vice-chancellor and preferments, and conveyed prisoner to the Tower of London. In this place he was the means of converting his keeper, a bitter papist, to the truth, and chiefly by means of his mild and gentle deportment. Sandys knew, that religion was not to be established by human fury, or by any arts of malice and wickedness. Having remained there twenty-nine weeks, he was sent to the Marshalsea, on Wyat's insurrection ; who, at his coming to Southwark, invited the doctor to come and gave him his company and advice ; but he prudently excused himself.

[ocr errors]

After he had been nine weeks prisoner in the Marshalsea, he was set at liberty, by the mediation of Sir Thomas Holcroft, the night-marshall. But some whisperers suggesting to bishop Gardiner, that he was the greatest heretic in England, and one, who, of all others, had most corrupted the university of Cambridge, Gardiner ordered strict search to be made for him. He was however so happy as to escape out of England, and in way, 1554, arrived at Antwerp. But he had not been there many hours, when receiving information that K. Philip had ordered search to be made for him, he hasted away to Augsburg ; and after staying there fourteen days, he went to Strasburg, where he fixed his abode. His wife came there to him, but he had the misfortune to lose her, and one child.

Towards the end of the year 1558, he took a journey to Zurich, and lodged five weeks in Peter Martyr's house. Receiving there the agreeable news of bloody Q. Mary's death, he went back to Strasburg, and thence to England, where he arrived January 13, 1558. In March following, he was appointed, by Q Elizabeth and her council, one of the nine Protestant divines, who were to hold a disputation against so many of the Romish persuasion, before both houses of parliament at Westminster. Also he was one of the commissioners for preparing a form of prayer, or liturgy, to be laid before the parliament, and for deliberation on other matters for the Reformation of the church. And being looked upon as one of the most eminent Protestant divines, who were fittest to fill up the sees vacant by the deprivation of the popish prelates, he was nominated to the see of Carlisle, which he refused, but accepted of the bishopric of Worcester, vacant by the deprivation of Richard Pates. He was consecrated December 21, 1559. We are told, that he alienated good part of the revenues of this see; and he had a long controversy with Sir 'ohn Bourn of Worcester, which grew to such a height, that bishop Sandys was forced to vindicate his own life and innocency, unhandsomely traduced by Sir John, in an information, or declaration of his to the privy-council. With respect to the alienation, he and all the other bishops were more or less compelled to do so - by the court, which was inordinately rapacious after the goods of the church. How resolutely averse he was to these sacrileges, may be seen in Strype's life of archbishop Whitgift, p. 286. to which we refer the more curious Reader. Moreover, we are toid, that he would not suffer Papists to remain in his diocese : And herein he was so

earnest, earnest, that he would not be persuaded to give them a toleration, by any prayers or intercessions made to him in their behalf. He appears indeed to have been of a severe disposition ; for, in some of his first visitations, he deprived clergymen, which occasioned warm and expostulating letters between him and archbishop Parker.

Being a man well skilled in the original languages, as well as an excellent preacher, he was, about the year 1565, one of the bishops appointed to ntake a new translation of the Bible: And the portions thereof which fell to his share, were the first and second books of Kings, and the first and second of Chronicles. Upon tie translation of Dr Edmund Grindal from the see of London to the archbishopric of York, in 1570, bishop Sandys was pitched upon by the queen to succeed him at London. He earnestly excused himself a while, but accepted of it at last. In 1571, he was ordered by the queen to assist the archbishop of Canterbury in the ecclesiastical commission both against Papists and Puritans. He proceeded against them with vigour and severity, and advised that a national council should be held to suppress them: All which exposed him to the censures and invectives ; and in the libels occasioned him to be much aspersed, to the blotting of his good name, and the endangering of his credit and reputation in his ministry. He complained of it therefore to the queen's chief officers, and desired that those slanderers might be brought before the temporal magistrate, the council, or the star-chamber. We find also, that he claimed to be superintendant of the Dutch church in London, as his predecessor bishop Grindal was; which occasioned some uneasiness between him and that congregation. In 1576, he was translated to the archbishopric of York ; and, no sooner was he possessed of it, but he had like to lose his manor and palace of Bishop's Thorp, under pretence that it was fit for the use of the president of the council in the North. But the archbishop stood resclute, and would not part with it upon any account. His successor in the see of London, bishop Aylmer, gave him also some trouble about the rents of that bishopric, and dilapidations. He visited his province in 1577, but was refused admittance in the church of Durham, by William Wittingham the dean, who had no regular orders, as haying received them at Geneva ; and some of the prebendaries; the see being then void: And so high did the con. test grow, that the bishop proceeded to excommunication. This affair lasted till the year 1578. With his own dean


« PreviousContinue »