« PreviousContinue »
A KEY TO THE MAP
3. Scene of “Almayer's Folly'. It was here that Captain Lingard had his secret river which he visited in the Flash for trade with natives. It was at this settlement on the Pantai that Willems was established by Lingard and the events described in "An Outcast of the Islands" took place.
2 Scene of “Typhoon". It was between Form. Osa and Foo Chou that the Nan Shan ran into the terrific storm.
3. Scenes of "The Secret Sharer" and "Freya of the Seven Isles", both stories in "'Twixt Land and Sea". "A Smile of Fortune" (in "'Twixt Land and Sea") is laid in the Island of Mauritius off Madagascar
4. Course taken by the Judea as described in "Youth."
in "Tales of L'nrest' also has a London baca ground.
10. Petrograd and Geneva are scenes of "Under
11. Probable location of "Nostromo. of which Arnold Bennett said that he reads it without fail once a year.
12. Probable location of "Gaspar Ruiz,'' story in "A Set of Six
13. "An Anarchist," story in "A Set of Six," be. gins in Paris and removes to the French Colony at Cayenne, French Guiana, S. A
14. The course taken by "The Brute" as told in the story of the same name in "A Set of Six."
15. in Strassburg is laid the opening scene of
16. Naples, the scene of "Il Conde" a story in
17. Scene of the shipwreck of the Patna as de
18. "Romance" is a tale of adventure in the early days of the West Indies, centring largely in Cuba and Jamaica.
19. Port Elizabeth, the destination of the Fern.
20. The scene of Falk."
5. Course described in "Heart of Darkness" (in volume entitled "Youth." This has been called the finest short story in the English language. The scene of "An Outpost of Progress" is also laid on the Congo River a little above its mouth.
6. Country described in "End of the Tether" where the blind Capt. Whalley goes down with his ship. This is one of the stories in "Youth."
7. Course taken by the Narcissus in the Nigger of the Narcissus." This was the book that brought Mr. Conrad his first recognition.
8. Karain, one of the stories in "Tales of Unrest," has Mindanao, in the Philippines for its setting
9: London is the setting for **The Secret Agent" and for much of Chance. "The Return," a story
NOTE: It must be borne in mind that the markings on the map are only approximations based many times on invented names
Ch N T
P A: C Jislands F I C Merke
“Tales of Unrest". : Almayer's Folly”.
Island Scene 21;
of "Nostro The Secret Sharer"
E A N 1 A
0.C E A N Seven Isles
of “Gas burnt as
10**Under Western Eyes “The Secret Agent"
Black Sea Cyspian
Scene of the
shipwreck of the Peona"
Arabiag Bombay "WEST INDIES
D C E A
"An Anarchist": Freetown AFRICA
Ι Ν ΟΙ
Antanănariyo 31A MAURITIUS .
A Smile of
Destination of the Ferndale
as told in Chance in the Nigger of the "Narcissus'
& c E AS