« PreviousContinue »
7. Nevertheless, I tell you the Truth ; It is expedient for you, that I go away : for if I go not away, the Como FORTER wil not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8. And when he is come, he will reprove the World of Sin, and of Righteousness, and of Judgment : 9. Of Sin, because they BELIEVE not on me;
io. Of RIGHTEOUSNESS, because I go to my father, and ye
see me no more ; 11. Of JUDGMENT, because the Prince of this World is judged.
12. I have yet many Things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13. How beit, when he the Spirit of Truth is come, he will guide you into all Truth: for ke Mall not speak of himself: but whatsoever he Thall hear, that shall he speak : and he will shew you Things to come.
14. He shall glorify me': for he shall receive of mine, and shall fhew it unto you.
15. All Things that the Father hath, are mine : Therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
16. A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me: because I go to the Father.
17. Then said some of his Disciples among themselves, What is this that he faith unto us, A little while and ye Shall not see me: and again, A little while and ye shall fee me : and, Because I go to the Father?
18. They said therefore, What is this that he faith, A little while? We cannot tell what he saith.
19. Now Fesus knew that they were defirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do ye inquire among your selves of that I said, A little while and ye shall not see me: and again, A little while and ye shall see me?
20. Verily, verily I say unto you, that ye shall weep and lament, but the World shall rejoice: and ye hall be forrowful, but your Sorrow shall be turned into Joy.
21. A Woman when she is in travail, hath Sorrow, because her Hour is come : but as soon as she is delivered of the Child, she remembreth no more the Anguifh, for Joy that a Man is born into the World. 22. And ye now therefore have Sorrow : but I will
fee you again, and your Heart shall rejoice, and your Joy no Man taketh from you.
23. And in that Day ye shall ask me nothing : Verily, verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye * shall ask the Father in my Name, he will give it you.
24. Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my Name: Alk, and ye shall receive, that your Joy may be full.
25. These Things have I spoken unto you in Proverbs : the Time cometh when I shall no more speak unto you in Proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.
26. At that Day ye shall Ask in my NAME: and I say unto you, that I will pray the Father for you :
27. For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
28. I came forth from the Father, and am come into the World : Again, I leave the World, and go to the Father.
29. His Disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no Proverb.
30. Now are we sure that thou knoweft all Things, and feedest not that any Man should ask thee : by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.
31. Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe ?
32. Behold, the Hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be fcattered, every Man to his own, and shall leave me alone : and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
33. These Things have I spoken unto you, that in me ye might have PeACE. In the World ye shall have TriBULATION: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the World.
* See pag. Ixiii. Of the Efficacy of PRAYER, in the APOLOGY to the Harmony of the PS ÄLMS.
c H A P.
CH A P. XVII.
This Chapter contains the solemn Address of our Sa
viour to his Almighty Father just before his Passion; wherein be prays that his Disciples might have Eternal Life, consisting in the Knowledge of God, and might be preserved in Unity and Truth; and that they and all other Believers might be glorified with bim : which seems to be the Pattern or Model of his Eternal Intercellion in the Heavens.
Ver. 1. A ,
said, I thank thec, lift up his Eyes to Heaven, Earth, because thou hast hid these and said, FATHER, the Things from the wise and pru
dent, and hast revealed them unto Hour is come; GLORIFY thy
26. Even so, Father, for so it GLORIFY thee.
seemed good in thy sight. 2. As thou hast given him 27. All Things are delivered unPower over all Flesh, that KNOWETH the Son but the Father :
to me of my Father : and no Man he should give ETERNAL neither knoweth any Man the Lipe to as many as thou Father, save the Son, and he to
whomsoever the Son will reveal haft given him.
I will give you Rest.
and lowly in Heart, and ye shall
find Rest uncu your Sonis. 4. I have glorified thee on
30. For my Yoke is EASY, and the Earth ; I have finished my Burden is LIGHT. the Work which thou gavest John xiv, 6. Jesus saith unto
him, I am the Way, and the Truth, me to do.
and the Life, 5. And now, O Fat
Rom. vi. 22. But now being made glorify thou me with thine free from Sin, and become Serown self, with the GLORY vants to God, ye have your Fruit
unto Holiness, and the End everwhich I had with thee before lasting Life. the World was.
23. For the Wages of Sin is 6. I have MANIFESTED
Death : but the Gift of God is
Eternal Life, through Jefu Chrift thy Name unto the Men
our Lord. which thou gavest me out of fer. xxxi. 34. And they shall the World: thine they were,
teach no more every Man his Neighand bour, and every Man his Brother,
and thou gaveft them me ; mall ail know me, from the leat
saying, Know the Lord: For they and they have kept thy of them unto the greatest of them, Word.
saich the Lord: for I will forgive 7. Now they have known their INIQUITY, and I will rememthat all Things whatsoever ber their STN no more.
Hof. vi. 6. For I desired MERCY, thou haft given me, are of and not Sacrifice: and the Know? thee.
LEUGE of God, more than Burnt. 8. For * I have given un
Rom. i. 18. For the Wrath of to them the Words which God is revealed from Heaven azhou gavest mes and they gainst all UNGODLINESS and Unhave received them, and have righteousness of Men, who hold the
Truth in Varighteoufoess. known surely that I came 19. Because that which may be out from thee, and they have known of God, is manifett in them, believed that thou didít fend for God hath showed it unto chem.
20. For the INVISIBLE Things
of him from the Creation of the 9. I pray for them: I pray World, are clearly seen, being unnot for the World, but for derstood by, the Things that are them which thou haft given GODHEAD, fo that they are withme, for they are thine.
out Excuse : 10. And all mine are thine, 21. Because that when they knew and thine are mine, and I am Gud, they GLORIFIED him not as
God. glorified in them.
1 Cor. i. 21. For after that, in 11. And now I am no the Wisdom of God, the World by more in the World, but these Wisdom knew not God, it plealed
God by the Foolishness of Preachare in the World, and I come ing en SAVE them that believe. to thee. · Holy Father, keep 2 Cor. iv. 6. For God who com
manded the Light to shine out of through thine own
DARKNESS, hath shined in our thofe whom thou haft given Hearts, tu give the Light of the me, that they may be ONE, KNOWLEDGE of the Glory of
God, in the face of Jefu Chrift. 12. While I was with them Voice, and i know them, and
John X. 27: My Sheep hear my, in the World, I kept them they follow me. in thy Name : those that 28. And I give unto them Eter
nal Life, and they shall never pethou gavest me, I have kept, rifh, neither hall any pluck them and none of them is loit, out of my Hand. but the Son of PERDITION: Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of
Ephef. i. 17. That the God of our that the Scripture might be Glory, may give unto you the Sp! fulfilled,
RIT OF WISDOM and Revelation in 13. And now come I to the Knowledge of him: thee, and these Things I standing being enlighined ; that he
18. The Eyes of your Under fpeak in the World, that they may know what is the Hope of his might
Cale • See Page 21. in the Abstract of the Old Teflammt, of the Excellency of the Word of GOD.
as we are.
might have my Joy fulfilled CALLING, and what the Riches in themselves.
of the Glory of his Inheritance in
che Saints, 14. I have given them 19. And what is the exceeding thy WORD; and the World Greatness of his power to us.ward hath hated them, because
Chap.ii.13. But now in Chrifi 7.fiw; they are not of the World, ye who were sometimes far off, are even as I am not of the made NICH by the Blood of Chrif. World.
18. For through him we both
have an Access by one Spirit unto 15. I pray not that thou the Father. should ft take them out of Chap. iii. 8. Unto me, who am the World, but that thou less than the least of all Saints, is shouldst keep them from the preach among the Gentiles the un
this Grace given, that I should Evil.
searchable Riches of Christ. 16. They are not of the 9. And to make all Men see, what
is the Fellowship of the Myitory, World, even as I am not of
which from the Beginning of the the World.
World hath been hid in God, who 17. SANCTIFY them thro' created aLLTHIN?s by Jifu Chrift: thy Truth : thy Word is the Principalities and Powers in
10. To the Intent that now unto Truth.
heavenly Places, might be known 18. As by the Church the maniio.d Wis.
Dom of Gon,
11. According to the eternal Pur. pose which he
stopposed in Christ Jesus our Lord: 12. In whom we have Boldness and Access with Confidence by the Faith of him.
Phil. jji. 8. I count all Things but Loss, for the EXCELLENCY of the KNOWLEDGE of Christ 7:114 my Lord : for whom I have suffered the Loss of all THINGS, and do count them but Dung that I may win Ghrift,
9. And be found in him, not having mine own RIGHTEOUSNESS, which is of the Law, but that which is through the Faith of Christ, the Righteousness which is of God by Faitu:
10. That I may KNOW him, and the POWER of his Resurrection and the Fellow Ihip of his Suitcrings, being made CONFORMABLE unto his Death.
11. If by any means I might attain unto the Refurreélion of the Deai. Col. iii. 3. For ye arc dead, and your Life is lin with Christ in Got.
4. When Christ, who is our Life, shall appear, then shall je also appear with him in GLORY.
(hap. i. 9. For this Cause we also since the Nay we heard it, do not cease to pay for you, and to defire that ye might be filled with the Knowledge of his Will, in all wisdom and spiritual Underttandinn
10. That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing being. fruitful in every good Work, and increasing in the KNOWLEDGE Of Gon.
2 Pet. i. 2. Grace and Peace be multiplied unto you through the Knowledge of God, and of fifius our Lord,
3. According as his DIVINE POWER hath given unto us all Things that pertain unto Life and GODLINESS, through the Knowledge of him ihat hach called us to GLORY and VIRTUE.
5. And besides this, giving all Diligence, add to your Faith, Vistue, and to VIRTUE, Knowledge.