Frommer's South Africa
, Dec 27, 2011
- 480 pages
- Insider advice from our author, a lifelong resident of South Africa, who hits all the highlights, including safaris in South Africa and Botswana, side trips to Victoria Falls, and vineyard tours outside Cape Town. She shares her favorite experiences you shouldn't miss: visiting Nelson Mandela's jail cell, watching whales from the sand dunes in Western Cape, enjoying a sunset from Table Mountain in Cape Town, rafting the churning waters of the Zambezi, and swimming with penguins on Boulders Beach.
- Where to find the wildest animal encounters, the best private game lodges and camps, the best parks and nature reserves, the best surfing and paragliding, and the best culinary treats--from high tea in Cape Town to braaing kreef (lobster) on the beach.
- Insightful commentary on South African history and where best to learn about it, including the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg, Gauteng (the "cradle of humankind"), and the Vukani Collection of Zulu artifacts in Eshowe.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinations--they tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.