« PreviousContinue »
XVI. And whereas by the third Section of the Act passed in the twelfth year of the Reign of Her Majesty, intituled, An Act to supply certain necessary legislative provisions not included in certain Acts therein mentioned, and by a proclamation issued in accordance therewith, the Counties of Essex and Lambton are united for judicial purposes, but the relative geographical position of the said Counties is such that parties cannot travel from either of the said Counties to the other without passing the County of Kent, or by the waters of the Lake and River St. Clair contiguous and belonging thereto, and it has been found inconvenient in the cases (amongst others) of prisoners on the limits of Essex and Lambton aforesaid, that they should not be permitted to travel from the County of Essex, where the gaol of the said united Counties is situate, into the County of Lambton, without departing from the said limits : Be it enacted, Prisoners may pass That in any case where a person shall have been heretofore, or shall hereafter be through the County
of Kent on their way admitted to the limits of the said united Counties of Essex and Lambton in manner to the Counties of prescribed by law, and shall travel, or shall have heretofore travelled or departed from Essex or Lambton. Essex to Lambton or from Lambton to Essex, while being a prisoner on the limits, such travel or departure shall not have or be held or construed to have or to have had any effect upon the liability of the said party or any other person, or any other effect whatever, other than would have been the case, if such person had never left the said limits or either of the said Counties ; nor in the case of a party being or having been Shariff authorized to heretofore arrested on any process in either of the said Counties, shall such travel or departure from Lambton to Kent by the Sheriff or Officer employed in conveying such prisoner to the Gaol of the said Counties in Essex, have any other or greater effect upon the liability of the said Sheriff or Officer, than if the said Sheriff or Officer had never left the said Counties of Essex and Lambton during such travel: Provided Proviso. nevertheless, that the limits of the three Counties of Essex, Kent and Lambton, shall not in any case be departed from during such travel.
XVII. And whereas by the thirty-second clause of an Act passed in the ninth year of Her Majesty's Reign, intituled, An Act to consolidate and amend the Registry Laws of that part of this Province which was formerly Upper Canada, the Registers of existing Counties are required to furnish certain statements of the Registration of such titles as may have been registered of lands lying in the part so separated, to the Registers of new Counties, but no provision has been made for defraying the expenses of furnishing such statement : Be it enacted, that every Register furnishing such Fees to Registers furstatements shall be entitled to receive from, and be paid by the new County the sum
nishing statements. of Six Pence for every folio of one hundred words contained in any such statement so furnished.
XVIII. And be it enacted, That this Act shall have force and effect upon, from and Commencement of after the first day of January next, and not before, excepting the sixteenth Section this Act. thereof, which shall have force and effect upon, from and after the passing of this Act.
1. The County of Glengarry shall consist of the Townships of Charlottenburgh, Kenyon, Lochiel, Lancaster and the Indian reservation adjoining the said Townships of Charlottenburgh and Kenyon.
2. The County of Stormont shall consist of the Townships of Finch, Osnabruck, Roxborough and Cornwall.
3. The County of Prescott shall consist of the Townships of Alfred, Caledonia, Hawkesbury East, Hawkesbury West, Longueuil, Plantagenet North and Plantagenet South.
4. The County of Russell shall consist of the Townships of Clarence, Cumberland, Cambridge and Russell.
5. The County of Carleton shall consist of the Townships of Fitzroy, Goulburn, Gower North, Gloucester, Huntley, March, Marlborough, Osgood, Tarbolton and Nepean.
6. The County of Renfrew shall consist of the Townships of Admaston, Blithfield, Bagot, Bromley, Horton, McNab, Pembroke, Ross, Stafford, Westmeath, and all that tract of land lying between the Western Boundaries of the Townships of Lavant, Blithfield, Adinaston, Bromley, Stafford and Pembroke and the Ottawa River, and a line drawn parallel to the general course of the said Boundaries of the said Townships from the western corner of the Township of Clarendon to the Ottawa River.
7. The County of Lanark shall consist of the Townships of Montague, Elmsley North, Burgess North, Sherbrooke North, Sherbrooke South, Bathurst, Drummond, Beckwith, Dalhousie, Lanark, Ramsay, Lavant, Darling and Pakenham.
8. The County of Dundas shall consist of the Townships of Mountain, Matilda, Winchester and Williamsburgh.
9. The County of Grenville shall consist of the Townships of Edwardsburgh, Wolford, Gower South, Oxford and Augusta.
10. The County of Leeds shall consist of the Townships of North Crosby, South Crosby, Burgess, Bastard, Elmsley, Kitley, front of Leeds and Lansdown, rear of Leeds and Lansdown, Escott, Yonge and Elizabethtown.
11. The County of Frontenac shall consist of the Townships of Wolle Island, (including Simcoe Island, Garden Island, Horse Shoe Island and Mud Island,) Clarendon, Barrie, Palmerston, Kennebec, Olden, Oso, Hinchinbrooke, Bedford, Portland, Loughborough, Storrington, Pittsburgh, Howe Island and Kingston.
12. The County of Addington shall consist of the Townships of Camden, Ernestown, Kalader, Anglesea, Sheffield and Amherst Island.
13. The County of Lennox shall consist of the Townships of Adolphustown, Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg additional, and Richmond.
14. The County of Prince Edward shall consist of the Townships of Athol, Ameliasburg, Hillier, Hallowell, Marysburgh and Sophiasburgh.
15. The County of Hastings shall consist of the Townships of Lake, Tudur, Grimsthorpe, Marmora, Madoc, Elzevir, Rawdon, Huntingdon, Hungerford, Sidney, Thurlow and Tyendinaga.
16. The County of Northumberland shall consist of the Townships of Murray, Brighton, Cramahe, Haldimand, Hamilton, Seymour, Percy, Alnwick and Monaghan South.
17. The County of Durham shall consist of the Townships of Hope, Clarke, Darlington, Cavan, Manvers and Cartwright.
18. The County of Peterborough shall consist of the Townships of Belmont, Methuen, Burleigh, Dummer, Harvey, Douro, Smith, Monaghan North, Asphodel, Ennismore and Otonabee.
19. The County of Victoria shall consist of the Townships of Mariposa, Ops, Emily, Eldon, Fenelon, Bexley, Verulam and Somerville.
20. The County of Simcoe shall consist of the Townships of Orillia, Matchedash, Tay, Medonte, Oro, Vespra, Flos, Tiny, Sunnidale, Nottawasaga, Gwillimbury West, Essa, Tecumseth, Adjala, Tossorontio, Mulmur, Mono and Innisfil, together with the tract of land bounded on the East by the line between the late Home and Newcastle Districts prolonged to French River, on the West by Lake Huron, on the North by French River, and on the South by the River Severn and the Township of Rama, and the Islands in Lakes Simcoe and Huron, lying wholly, or for the most part, opposite to the said County of Simcoe, or any part thereof and contiguous thereto.
21. The County of York shall consist of the Townships of Etobicoke, Vaughan, Markham, Scarborough, York, King, Whitchurch, Gwillimbury East and Gwillimbury North.
22. The County of Peel shall consist of the Townships of Albion, Caledon, Chinguacousy, Toronto and Toronto Gore.
23. The County of Ontario shall consist of the Townships of Whitby, Pickering, Uxbridge, Reach, Brock, Georgina, Scott, Thora, Mara, Scugog and Rama.
24. The County of Halton shall consist of the Townships of Esquesing, Trafalgar, Nassagaweya and Nelson.
25. The County of Waterloo shall consist of the Townships of North Dumfries, Waterloo, Wilmot, Woolwich and Wellesley.
26. The County of Brant shall consist of the Townships of Brantford, Onondaga, Tuscarora, Oakland, South Dumfries and Burford, and the Village of Paris.
27. The County of Wellington shall consist of the Townships of Erin, Puslinch, Guelph, Nichol, Garafraxa, Eramosa, Peel, Maryborough, Minto, Arthur, Luther, Amaranth and Pilkington.
28. The County of Grey shall consist of the Townships of Derby, Sydenham, Saint Vincent, Sullivan, Holland, Euphrasia, Collingwood, Bentinck, Glenelg, Artemesia, Osprey, Normanby, Egremont, Proton and Melancthon, together with that portion of the Peninsular Tract of Land known as the Indian Reserve, and situated between a line drawn northward from the north-east angle of Arran and the north-west angle of Derby, until it strikes Colpoy's Bay on the east side of the Indian Village, and the waters of the Georgian Bay, together with the Islands contiguous thereto.
29. The County of Bruce shall consist of the Townships of Huron, Kinloss, Culross, Carrick, Kincardine, Greenock, Brant, Bruce, Saugeen, Elderslie and Arran, together with all that portion of the Peninsular Tract of Land known as the Indian Reserve, and not included in the County of Grey, together with all the Islands in Lake Huron and the Georgian Bay contiguous thereto.
30. The County of Huron shall consist of the Townships of Hay, Stephen, McGillivray, Biddulph, Usborne, Howick, McKillop, Grey, Morris, Turnberry, Ashfield, Wawanosh, Colborne, Hullett, Tuckersmith, Stanley and Goderich.
31. The County of Perth shall consist of the Townships of Blanchard, Hibbert, Fullarton, Downie, including the Gore of Downie, Logan, Ellice, Easthope North and Easthope South, Elma, Wallace and Mornington.
32. The County of Lambton shall consist of the Townships of Bosanquet, Plympton, Warwick, Sarnia, Moore, Enniskillen, Brooke, Sombra, including Walpoole Íslands, St. Ann's Island, and the other Islands at the mouth of the River St. Clair, Dawn and Euphemia.
33. The County of Kent shall consist of the Townships of Orford, Howard, Camden, Chatham, Harwich, Dover East, Dover West, Raleigh, Tilbury East, Romney and Zone.
34. The County of Essex shall consist of the Townships of Mersea, Gosfield, Colchester, Rochester, Maidstone, Malden, Anderdon, Tilbury West and Sandwich.
35. The County of Elgin shall consist of the Townships of Aldborough, Dunwich, Southwold, Yarmouth, Malahide, Bayham and South Dorchester.
36. The County of Middlesex shall consist of the Townships of Mosa, Ekfrid, Carradoc, Metcalfe, Adelaide, Williams, Lobo, Nissouri West, North Dorchester, Delaware, Westminster and London.
37. The County of Norfolk shall consist of the Townships of Houghton, Middleton, Charlotteville, Windham, Townsend, Woodhouse, Walsingham, including Long Point.
38. The County of Oxford shall consist of the Townships of Zorra East, Zorra West, Oxford North, Oxford East, Oxford West, Dereham, Norwich, Blenheim, Blandford, Nissouri East and the Village of Woodstock.
39. The County of Haldimand shall consist of the Townships of Walpole, Oneida, Seneca, North Cayuga, South Cayuga, Canborouglı, Rainham, Dunn, Moulton and Sherbrooke.
40. The County of Welland shall consist of the Townships of Pelham, Thorold, Stamford, Crowland, Willoughby, Wainfleet, Humberstone and 'Bertie.
41. The County of Lincoln shall consist of the Townships of Grimsby, Clinton, Louth, Grantham, Caistor, Gainsborough and Niagara. 232
42. The County of Wentworth shall consist of the Townships of Beverly, Flamborough East, Flamborough West, Ancaster, Glanford, Binbrook, Saltfleet and Barton.
COUNTIES UNITED FOR MUNICIPAL, JUDICIAL AND OTHER PURPOSES.
1. Essex and Lambton,
COUNTIES UNITED FOR THE PURPOSE OF REPRESENTATION.
1. Kent and Lambton,-as the County of Kent.
1. Howe Island, which shall consist of the Island of that name.
2. East Nissouri, which shall include and consist of that part of the present Township of Nissouri, which lies eastward of the line dividing the seventh concession thereof from the eighth.
3. West Nissouri, which shall include and consist of the residue of the present Township of Nissouri.
4. North Dumfries, which shall include and consist of the six northern Concessions of the present Township of Dumfries.
5. South Dumfries, which shall include and consist of the residue of the present Township of Dumfries.
6. North Dorchester, which shall include and consist of all that part of the present Township of Dorchester, lying to the Northward of the line between the sixth and seventh Concessions South of the River Thames.
7. South Dorchester, which shall include and consist of the residue of the present Township of Dorchester.
8. Pilkington, which shall include and consist of that part of the present Township of Woolwich known as the Pilkington Tract.
NIAGARA FALLS PUBLIC LIBRARY,
9. Scugog, which shall include and consist of all those parts of the present Townships of Cartwright and Reach, which compose the Island known as Scugog Island.
10. Orillia, which shall include and consist of the present Township of North Orillia, and the present Township of South Orillia.
11. Brighton, which shall include and consist of all the lots from number one to number ten, both inclusive, in the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth concessions, and in the broken front of the present Township of Cramahe, and of the lots from number twenty-three to number thirty-five, both inclusive, in the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth and eleventh concessions, and in the concessions A and B, and the broken front of the present township of Murray, and the peninsula of Presqu'isle.
TRACTS DETACHED FROM TOWNSHIPS AND ATTACHED TO OTHERS. 1. The lots on Yonge Street, in the present Township of West Gwillimbury, shall be detached from the said Township, and be annexed to and form part of East Gwillimbury; and the residue of that part of the said Township of West Gwillimbury which lies on the south-east side of the west branch of the Holland River shall be detached from the said Township of West Gwillimbury, and be annexed to and form part of the Township of King.
2. That part of the present Township of Cartwright; : Lying to the North of Şcugog Lake, shall be detached from the said Township of Cartwright, and be annexed to and form part of the Township of Mariposa.
3. That part of the present Township of Nichol, known as the Town Plot of the Village of Elora, shall be detached from the present Township of Nichol and be annexed to and form part of the Township of Pilkington, and the boundaries of such Town Plot shall be fixed by Proclamation to be issued by the Governor General in Council.
4. The peninsula of Presqu'isle shall be detached from the present Township of Murray, and shall be annexed to and form part of the Township of Brighton.
5. The Gore of Murray, lying between the tenth concession of the Township of Murray and the Township of Seymour, shall be detached from Murray, and form part of the Township of Seymour.
6. That part of the present Township of North Dorchester, lying north of the River Thames and east of the middle of the road allowance between lots numbers eighteen and nineteen, shall be detached from the said Township and shall be annexed to and form part of the Township of Oxford north.
C A P. V .
fee simple or for the life of another, in Upper Canada, and to provide for the
best accord with the relative claims of such parties in the division thereof.
[ 2d August, 1851. ] HEREAS it is expedient to abolish the right of Primogeniture in the succession
to real estate held in fee simple or for the life of another, in Upper Canada, as such right now exists according to the laws in force in that section of the Province, and to provide for the division of such real estate amongst such of the relatives of the person last seized or possessed, and who shall have died without leaving any testamentary disposition thereof, as may best accord with the relative claims of such parties in the division thereof: Be it therefore enacted by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Council and of the Legislative