« PreviousContinue »
80 WONE 1915
1. Sheridan's Plays.
33. Emerson's Essays, &c. 2. Plays from Molière. By 34. Southey's Life of Nelson, English Dramatists.
35. De Quincey's Confessions 3. Marlowe's Faustus and
of an Opium-Eater, &c. Goethe's Faust.
36. Stories of Ireland. By Miss
Heroic Deeds of Pantagruel. Acharnians, Knights, Birds 6. Machiavelli's Prince. 38. Burke's Speeches and Letters. 7. Bacon's Essays.
39. Thomas a Kempis.
41. Potter's Æschylus.
42. Goethe's Faust: Part II. and Filmer's “Patriarcha.”
Anster's Translation. 10. Butler's Analogy of Religion. 43. Famous Pamphlets. 11. Dryden's Virgil.
44. Francklin's Sophocles. 12. Scott's Demonology and 45. M. G. Lewis's Tales of Witchcraft.
Terror and Wonder.
History of Creation.
49. The Banquet of Dante.
50. Walker's Original.
52. Peele's Plays and Poems.
53. Harrington's Oceana. 24. Cavendish's Life of Wolsey. 54. Euripides : Alcestis and
other Plays. 25 & 26. Don Quixote.
55. Praed's Essays. 27. Burlesque Plays and Poems.
56. Traditional Tales. 28. Dante's Divine Comedy.
ALLAN CUNNINGHAM. LONGFELLOW's Translation. 57. Hooker's Ecclesiastical 29. Goldsmith's Vicar of IVake
Polity. Books I.-IV. field, Plays, and Poems.
58. Euripides : The Bacchannls
the Sanskrit. (Hitopadesa.) | 59. Izaak Walton's Lives.
IZAAK WALTON was born at Stafford in the year 1593—when Shakespeare had newly begun to write plays all his own—and he died in the year 168 3, aged ninety-one. He began life soon after he came of age in one of the little seamster or draper's shops on the Exchange, seven and a half feet long by five feet wide, from which, in Dekker's maker's Holiday,” “ sweet, beauteous Jane” tempted the enamoured Hamon, saying
Sir, what is't you buy ?
In 1624, at the age of thirty-one, Izaak Walton moved into Fleet Street, where his shop was on the north side, two doors west of the end of Chancery Lane. He moved afterwards to the seventh house round the corner on the west side of the Lane. He went to church at St. Paul's, where Donne (who died in 1631) had been made Dean in 1623, and