Page images

mostly from our brigade. When Capt. Cass was having his wound dressed, it was amusing to witness his anger, not simply at his being struck, but that he should be struck without even the dignity of being hurt in battle. “They will ask me in what battle I was wounded,” said he, “and I shall have to say no battle at all, but only a miserable skirmish.” He may, however, have the consolation of knowing now that Adairsville, by reason of its sharp struggle has passed into history.

Among the wounded was James P. Barton, of Company C, a new recruit. While lying down under fire, a minnie ball striking a rail fence, split in two, and one-half struck him on the top of his head, settling into the brain. All the night he was insensible, and next morning when the Surgeon and Chaplain went forward with the regiment, the latter taking his list of names with him, Barton was sent back from hospital to hospital until lie reached Nashville, no one being able to give his name or regiment. On examining his wound the Surgeon found lying in the brain the half ball, a piece of his hat and some hair. Soon after removing these, his speech returned, and his friends heard of him after a full month of anxious suspense. He is still living.

Next day we moved on, passing through Adairsville, and while halting there Gen. Osterhaus came to see the regiment and made an appropriate speech to them. They greeted him with three cheers. Quite a large number of prisoners and deserters were brought in. Next day we passed through Kingston, and on turning to the left towards Cassville, about three o'clock we came in sight of the enemy in line, and a large wagon train. Our corps was drawn up in line of battle, and the battery was opened on the train. Hooker also came up on our left. Heavy firing of artillery and skirmishing continued until night, when we went into camp about eight o'clock.



It now appears that Johnston was preparing to give battle at Cassville, and had arranged his army accordingly, but the dissatisfaction of some of his generals decided him to withdraw beyond the Etowah. A battle then would have saved us from a long campaign. CASUALTIES NEAR ADAIRSVILLE.

KILLED. John Aldrich, Sergt. Co. A; Franklin Webber, Co. A; Jas. Davis, Co. o.


Corp. Romaine Kilburn, face and breast; H. Haynes, Louis Miller, A. Shaw.

[blocks in formation]

James P. Barton, head; J. W. McCoy; S. N. Wilson, hand.


Capt. E. P. Cass, leg; Sergt. W. T. Maycroft, head; Allen Alvord, hip; Eben Gates, jaw.


Lieut. L. P. Southworth, arm; E. H. Strait, side; C. K. Johnson, arm; Canute Phillips, thigh; Geo. A. ('ummings, hip: Edwin Dopp, leg; J. H. Roots, shoulder.


Sergt. Albert Wolfe, thigh; Chas. Irish, finger.


Sergt. Geo. W. Avery, heel; Corp. H. Lowry, side; Saml. Mall, foot,


Corp. R. H. Starr, leg.




FTER nearly three weeks of hard campaigning, we were glad to remain a few days to rest in Cassville, the enemy having retreated beyond the Etowah. The railroad bridge at Resaca was quickly rebuilt. the trains came up with full rations, and we had the

telegraph wires right into camp. The time was spent in bathing, washing, writing letters and sleeping. Gen. Sherman issued an order encouraging the men to write home, and ordering all chaplains and officers to aid them even to the extent of supplying them with paper, if necessary.

On Sunday, May 22nd, we had service twice, and at night the whole army received orders to march. Brig. Gen. Kimball was assigned to the command of the brigade, and Col. Sherman was detailed as Chief of Staff to Gen. Howard, probably as an acknowledgment that he had been unjustly dealt with in the Adairsville fight. We broke up camp about noon on Monday, the 23rd, and went into town ; while all the rest of the troops moved forward, we were detailed as rear guard to the corps train, and lay around until eight o'clock before we could start. The route taken by the army was not in direct pursuit of the enemy,



but towards Dallas, for Sherman had decided not even to attempt to take in front the stronghold at Allatoona. We had a tedious march all night, arriving at Etowah bridge about half-past three o'clock, as the other troops were sounding reveille. After crossing the covered bridge we prepared breakfast, which we had scarcely time to swallow before we were ordered to join the brigade. The trains filled the road and we found it very hard to march by. The men were exhausted from loss of sleep, and just as we got into camp at night a thunder-storm broke on us, and we lay out all night in the rain, covered as well as possible with our rubbers.

Next day we halted for coffee, which was just boiling, when orders came to fall in and hasten forward. Hooker, who was in the advance, had come upon the enemy at Pumpkin Vine Creek, and needed support.

On reaching the bridge, we saw that attempts had been made to burn it. By this time, Hooker had rallied his Corps and was driving the enemy. As we came up in line of battle, a very severe engagement with both artillery and infantry took place, and the enemy fell back to his chosen position, at the junction of the roads near New Hope Church. It was some time before we could reach our place, and night came on and then a heavy rain storm, which made it impossible to make camp in any order, and only by calling out to each other could we find out where we were. This confusion came near costing us dearly, and it was only by the wounding of one of our best officers that our critical condition was found out. About three o'clock next morning, Lieuts. Turnbull and Jackson, of the Brigade Staff, went out to inspect the lines. They heard men in front throwing up breastworks, who greeted them with a volley, which wounded both, but the attention of Gen. Howard was thereby drawn to the condition of our lines, and intrenching soon commenced.

Here the armies remained in close proximity and in deadly conflict day and night. The regiment was under fire for ten days, for though they were regularly relieved from the front line and reserve, the third line and the rear were not out of range. Corporal James Royds, of Company G, an elderly man, much respected by his comrades, and known among them by the title of “ Old Reliable," was sitting on a stone fence, smoking his pipe and unsuspicious of danger, as the regiment was off duty and resting in the rear of the works, when a rebel sharp-shooter, perched in a tree, from which he commanded a view of our men, shot him dead. As his body was laid away

in the

grave, tears fell like rain from the eyes of his comrades, whose love for Father Royds was that of children for a parent. One day Gen. Kimball desiring information about the enemy's line, Geo. Scales, Company K, volunteered to climb a tall pine tree, which he did in the sight of the enemy and in the teeth of a murderous fire, remaining there some time, and receiving two shots which slightly wounded him.

The rifle pits and skirmish lines of the two armies were very close to each other, so that ordinary conversation could be distinctly heard within the opposite entrenchments, whenever there was a lull in the firing. Many were the tricks they played and messages they sent to each other. Charges, too, were frequently made on both sides, in which the assailants were generally unsuccessful, and had to pay dearly in killed and wounded.

These charges were preceded by much shouting and yelling by those who made them, so that the party assailed learned to be on the lookout, and rose from behind their works to deliver their fire. This led to a ruse by the 2nd and 3rd Brigades. The bugler blew the double-quick call, which was followed by a yell. The enemy thinking a charge was to be made, rose up, and a volley

« PreviousContinue »